Benefits They're Real Mascara Review

Friday, December 20, 2013
Hi everyone, today I will be reviewing Benefit's They're Real Mascara. I'm sure everyone has heard of this mascara before as it is suppose to be the #1 Best Selling Mascara in the World (according to the box). 


I know many people, including my friends, love this mascara so for the longest time I wanted to try it. However, it is definitely expensive. It retails for $31 CDN + tax. Out of the many mascaras that I've tried, only two of them have been able to satisfy me. 

My eyelashes are extremely short, sparse, and straight. It's really difficult to achieve the results that I want (visible fanned up lashes) without the aid of my trusty mascara primer (Majorica Majolica Lash Bone Base). 

The two mascaras that have worked for me so far are Majorica Majolica Lash Expander (my #1 favorite) and Kiss Me Long and Curl Mascara.



Performance:

 eyelashes for reference.


Benefit's They're real mascara's formula is quite dry and waxy. The comb is the plastic kind with very sparse spikes. It coats my eyelashes quite evenly. However, the tip of the comb does have a heavy amount of product, which when it does touch my eyelashes, lash clumps of the product attaches to my eyelashes which then needs to be brushed out. Because it is so dry and waxy, the product doesn't smudge all over my eyelids during application. The thin straight brush is easy to work with. Be careful not to poke your eyes with the spikes. I tend to poke my eyes quite often when I'm trying to reach my bottom lashes which is natural I guess since they're so short and sparse.

They're Real Mascara lengthens and volumizes my eyelashes while keeping them decently clump free after two - three coats. I think with this kind of sparsh spiked brush, it'll be difficult to clump the mascara. After three coats, I notice that the mascara does weigh down my eyelashes a bit. After I re-curl my eyelashes with my Shu Uermura eyelash curler, it stays up. 

One coat of mascara on top of my Majolica Majorica Lash Bone really helps hold the curl up and lengthens even more but more than two coats of mascara on top of the primer, my eyelashes start to look a bit clumpy.

Removal:
It is really easy to take off as well, which I cannot say for the Japanese mascaras. I just press a cotton pad soaked in makeup remover to my eye for ten seconds and a majority of this mascara will come off. No tugging, no rubbing.

What I Love About It:
- lengthens decently
- volumizes nicely
- remains clump free - unless you touch it with the ends of the wand
- smudge resistant
- more acessible around the world
- easy to remove.

What I Don't Like About It:
- expensive
- weighs down my eyelashes a noticeble bit
- doesn't lengthen my eyelashes as much as the Majolica Majorica or Heroine Make mascaras (which are cheaper).

For the price of $31 CDN + tax, I can't justify the purchase of this mascara for the results it gave me. Although it has given me one of the best results any western mascara has given me, I will stick to my Japanese mascaras for now. They're 2/3 of the price of the benefits mascara and gives me the results that I want. It's still a really nice mascara that performs well and does a nice job. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this mascara! I've gotten the trial samples from Sephora as my free birthday gift for the past two years. But I agree it is very expensive.

    ReplyDelete

ChrissieTee. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top